Friday, January 4, 2013

sometimes we do things. big things.



a few months ago I went to an Estate Sale at a house that I've loved walking by for many years. I can, seriously, say that every time we walked by this house, Jacob and I would agree that, given the chance...we'd try to make that house our home.

today. right now. we own that house! It is ours and it brings tears to my eyes. I talk a lot about Jacob and our lives and I hope no one ever thinks I'm bragging or being an asshole when I say that things are good. Real good:) They are. But we've had our issues. Ew. They were not fun. But things are good now and settled and....right. 

the decision to get this house...felt right. Like all the other decisions Jacob and I have made, that have turned out to be the best things that have every happened to us (getting married, taking an amazing honeymoon, having Homer:), they always began by feeling right. Sounds ridiculous. But trusting our guts has not failed us yet. That's not to say that it's always been easy...some of those decisions (to have a babyyyyyyy, travel to a foreign country...alone) were scary. This was also a bit scary. We had NO plans to buy a house when the opportunity came up to buy this house. We already have a house. Yep. We still live in our current house and had put it up for sale only a month or so before we decided to buy this house! EEEEEEKKKK.

POINT: there are a lot of balls (why does that make me chuckle...ballsssss;) in the air right now. BUT I know it's going to work out. I know that this is exactly what's supposed to happen for us and we couldn't be happier:)

anyone in the market for an adorable little house!?!?!? We're willing to wheel and deal;)


we closed on the house Friday, December 28, 2012. We went to the house, armed with Chinese food, and ran walked around while records played in the back ground...

keep scrolling while I cry;')



 

we goofed around and talked about our future plans and the ideas we each have and picked our favorite rooms to take a photo in.

jacob loves the basement...his future play room:)

i love the master bedroom...my future nap room:)

what could be ordinary and everyday and maybe even...boring...is nothing short of an adventure because of this kid. As I'm typing, I can hear him downstairs giving our dog a hair cut. I won't leave the house with that dog for a month because of how ugly he will look after this 'hair cut'. Homer's fast asleep in his crib. And here I sit...smiling:)

 jacob was excited about the future baby-making that will be happening in the master bedroom;) NOT that we have sex or anything mommmmm;) Homer came from a stork's vagina;)


hardwood floors as far as the eye can see.

wide hallways.

the woodwork is in perfect condition.

(:sigh:)



the family who owned the house - actually, relatives of Jacob's - were nice enough to leave the record player and records for us. I am so excited to give it a modern paint job and spend most days with records playing:)




spinning and excited and happy and lucky:) 

this will be the only home Homer knows. The house we raise all our children in. Where Jacob and I will grow old together. It's an overwhelming feeling. Happy overwhelming:)


i know that this house meant so much to the family that left it. And I can imagine it's beyond hard to leave it and all those memories behind. We feel very honored to be taking on the task of bringing this house alive again. Filling it with children and celebrating holidays and birthdays and our milestones there. Making a lifetime of memories there. We're just so excited to have a home that was already filled with so much love:)

i will keep you all posted on the sale of our current house and moving to our new home and renovations. I can't wait to share this new chapter with you all:):)




another tid bit: we sold our car. Eeeeeek. We had this car and a little Jeep Cherokee (which we've kept)

long story short. It is important to us to be debt free. And now:) We'll both be 30 this year. We have purchased our forever home. We want to be able to travel. And just...go when we want. And make bad decisions at Target;) And do bigger things for our families. Donate. Be less financially stressed. 

as of March 1, 2013, we will be debt-free, except for our Mortgage(s). And as soon as our current house sells...we will ONLY be paying for our home and everything else...will be extra:)
I couldn't be more excited for what this year has in store for us:)

cheers to 2013 and getting everything you've ever dreamed:)

14 comments:

  1. my heart literally aches. you know the feeling... :) congrats to being DEBT FREE! you guys are doing a fabulous job. keep loving :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many happy tears for you guys now....super great ! Oh...btw...love, love the house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DIE for old houses with beautiful woodwork and amazing life stories and built-ins... Jealous!! Our very favorite memories were renovating-but-keeping-it-looking-old in our first house in Duluth. HAVE FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole!:) We are soooo excited! Like you...we have an addiction to fixer-upper's with LOADS of character:) We're being told this house is totally 'us'. :)

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to get started on that house! It's going to look fantastic! Great start to the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure you're ready for this;)!!! Can't wait mom:)

      Delete
  5. ah! so freakin' exciting. That house looks like it's bursting with character. LOVE! So happy for you two - seriously :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS Neen!! SO pumped for you to be here and see it in person!!! Eeeeeee! Be ready to have your face talked off about all my 'ideas' and hopes and dreams for this place!!!!:)

      Delete
  6. LOVE this! We bought the property with all those feelings attached. Except the relation thing. The house however does nothing for me. I just keep dreaming of the future house we will build soon. And by soon I mean after the kids are done with college ;p I hate spending money. Congrats on the pending debt freeness. It is a GREAT feeling the last time you make that car/ school payment but its even better the next month when you don't have to write that check and the $$$ is still in your check book!!----Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH! Thanks Rachel! Very exciting but yes...remodeling will bring a little bit of spending;) Building would be amazing! I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed it comes well before those kiddo's get to college;)

      Delete
  7. I am excited & nervous to see how you guys renovate Grandma's house (sorry it will always be known as G-ma's). Have you seen pictures of what it looked like a long time ago...like before the cedar siding was put on, when the front porch was opened up and the fireplace with the glass doors on it (I believe those were sitting in the closet of the green room)? If you want to see pictures send me a message and I can try and get them from my mom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen photos of what it looked like before! I would love to see those! I'll message you - FB message - But rest assured, we're not gonna change much! We bought the house because of how beautiful it is...it'll be the same but just cleaned up and improved in a lot of ways:):) And we found those doors upstairs! They are amazing!:)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips